SAP Production Planning (SAP PP)
Production Planning consists of all master data, system configuration, and transactions to complete the Plan
to Produce process. It includes the following information and processes:
- Material Master, Bill of Material, Routing and Work Center data
- Sales and Production Plans
- Long Term Planning
- Demand Management
- Material Requirements Planning (MRP)
- Capacity Planning
- Production Orders
Diagram of the typical Plan to Produce business process associated with the SAP PP module:
SAP Production Planning (SAP PP) is compromised of the following modules:
- Master Data - includes the material master, work centers, routings and bill of materials.
- SOP - Sales and Operations Planning (SOP) provides the ability to forecast sales and production plans based on historical, current and future data.
- DRP - Distribution Resource Planning allows companies the ability to plan the demand for distribution centers.
- Production Planning - includes material forecasting, demand management, long term planning and master production scheduling (MPS).
- MRP - Material Requirements Planning relies on demand and supply elements with the calculation parameters to calculate the net requirements from the planning run.
- Shop Floor Control - includes the processing of production orders, goods movements, confirmations and reporting tools for production.
- Capacity Planning - evaluates the capacity utilized based on the work centers available capacity to show capacity constraints.
- Repetitive Manufacturing - in repetitive manufacturing, the manufacturing process is usually simple in that the same products are produced over a long period of time. This module provides the transactions and business process for companies to run repetitive manufacturing in SAP.
- KANBAN - is a process of replenishment based on a pull system using KANBAN cards to generate the replenishment cycle.
- Product Cost Planning - is the process of evaluating all the time values and value of component materials to determine the product cost.
This is brief review of the components and processes associated with the SAP PP module. For a more in-depth
understanding of the Production Planning module, please review our available
SAP Production Planning training.
Please Note: The Learn SAP pages on this site are intended to be brief summaries for SAP customers
who are encountering SAP for the first time. For more advanced knowledge, please review the
articles in our SAP Library,
and our SAP Training offerings for both
Super Users and Project Teams.